Sunday, March 14, 2010

Exciting News!

Did anyone think for a second that maybe we had our LOA??????

Nope, we are still waiting for that, but we do have some exciting news from the home front. . .
Lilly is reading! She has learned all of the letter sounds over the last year. Since I don't have a lot of free time on my hands (can we say "understatement"), I had not been working with her on reading. Last week I spoke with a long time homeschooling mom, and she reminded me that her 3 children all were reading at 3 1/2. She encouraged me to work with Lilly - in a very relaxed way. So one night after dinner, Lilly and I sat at the kitchen bar with magnetic letters. Talk about effortless! She started reading those 3 letter, short vowel words like "cat, sat, pot, mat, bat. . . It was so easy compared to my 4 older kids. A little positive peer pressure may be just what big brother Ethan needs to motivate him to try a little harder with his own reading!

Wait - there is more. . .
Not to be outdone by her older sister (by only 11 months), Ellie starting saying "I want to read" the night that Lilly and I worked with those magnetic letters. We practiced a little that night and then tonight she read her 1st book. Way to go Ellie!

11 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Congratulations to Lily and Ellie! That's great! To me, when my kids were learning to read rated right up there with learning to walk (and talk)! I love that time and love those Bob Books!

Come on LOA!
Tammy

Sharon said...

HOORAY for Lily and Ellie!! Smart girls! :) They will be starting their own book club before you know it! ;)

Our family said...

AWSOME LILLY AND ELLIE and ETHAN!!!!!!!!!Love you all!!!!!

Our family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Great job Lilly and Ellie! And I'll bet the next exiting news post will be LOA! Love, Kim

Kim Turner said...

Hi,

Just wanted to check in with you guys about where you are in the process.

We are day 53 waiting on LOA....I thought we would travel by June, but it may be July or Aug.

Email me some time...
turner3788@bellsouth.net

(My daughter is in Bao Tou just to remind you.)

KIM

Rebecca Sibley said...

That is awesome..Lilly and Ellie!!

trina said...

We have Bob Books,too! Cute,cute big sisters. And day 56!! Praying you are almost there. I think ours was in the 60s with Benjamin...so praying it's soon. trina

Jennifer O'Cain said...

Ok I will admit the first thing I thought was LOA but this is great. It is such an exciting moment when a child learns to read, a whole new world opens to them. Great job girls (and mom) on all your hard work!

Chasing After God said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chasing After God said...

Hooray for Lilly and Ellie!!!! Congratulations!!!! We're SOOOO excited for you both!!!!! Keep it up! -E
PS: Oh, you read Bob books???? SO DO MY BROTHERS!!!! They are Will's favorites!!!!